Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Reviewing the situation

I love musicals. I always have. It comes from being raised on Disney musicals. The first few movies I really remember seeing, on VHS by the way, were "Dumbo" and 'Robin Hood". It was then that I really feel I fell in love with the musical. Nobody did it quite like Disney in the 90's with "Beauty and the Beast" "Aladdin" and the rest of them. Growing as an artist I have never let that influence escape me. My style is heavily influenced by the Disney artists and I have no doubt that with ever line I draw there is some musical note or song that lead me there.

All that being said it was only natural that I would be inspired by finally seeing the film version of "Oliver". I don't really remember seeing it when i was growing up but I recognized and knew more than half of the songs. The film is gorgeous and I really wish there were more stories like it. The characters are all fantastic and while I have never read the Charles Dickens class upon which it is based I feel like i know all I need to know about these characters.

So after seeing the flick and listening to soundtrack over and over I took up my pencil and decided I would give it a shot at seeing how these characters might look for an animated musical. There are really rough and  mainly first passes but I really like some of them. It also proved as a really good break from the other project I am working on.

So 'consider yourself one of the family' as I share this post with you.


Oliver and Dodger. One these two meet the story really gets fun. Dodger is a fun little character. I kinda wish he was a little older in the film to have the difference between him and Oliver a little greater. That way he would lead him astray more easily, but the kid that plays Dodger kills it anyway. "Consider Yourself" is the first show stopper of the musical and boy is a sight to be seen.



Perhaps the standout character and performance is that of Ron Moody as Fagin, the leader of the band of pickpockets and young thieves. Every song he has is memorable and fun. He is sneaky, conniving and treacherous but has a good heart. But like his song says, he's "a badden and a badden she shall stay". When him and Dodger meet up at the end I was really hoping for a tease of a sequel. How great would "Fagin and Dodger" be?


Another standout and knockout performance belongs to Shani Willis as the hooker with a heart of gold, Nancy. Once she shows up on screen she steals every scene she is and knocks every song she sings out of the park. My favorite is "OOm Pah Pah". Fun sing-a-long bar song.



Ahhhh the villain. Played in the film by the force of nature known as Oliver Reed. Bill Sikes is a nasty piece of work. Partnered with his dog, Bullseye, he works with Fagin stealing from the rich but his attentions turn ugly when Oliver gets nabbed and adopted by a rich family. In the film he doesnt get or participate in any songs and it fits quite well. He is a bastard.

Everybody now! Here is a little test of what the whole cast could look like together. I will work on getting things finalized soon. 


Ive got a few other projects coming in too. One that you will see very soon as it features a local sports team playing in a pretty big championship game next week.

No comments: