Pages

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

And now the end is near. Part 2.

   So keeping good on word I am continuing my year end retrospective of my work. Being that its Hump Day, you would think I'd go for more sexy stuff. Well let it be said that I never short on surprises.

   Today I will feature some of my favorite pieces I did that relate to the sports world. Sports has never been far from my life. Even though I never played anything, I did community soccer until Eighth grade, but other than that nothing. My father is and has always been a huge hockey fan. I myself have been a fan as well for most of my life. It wasn't until I entered my twenties that I really began to take notice of everything that goes on outside the rink and analyze some of the actions both on and off the ice. I am not as analytical or critical as some fans, I just love the game. More importantly I love the Boston Bruins and the Boston College Eagles.
 
  To say that this is the biggest year hockey has had in this house, and this state, would be an understatement. The Eagles had a pretty good season. They have come a long way from when we first stated going with no crowds and poor team performance. Now its sellout after sellout and nothing but high quality players and teams. The Bruins....What can be said about the Bruins that hasn't already been said. The Boston Bruins won the Stanley Cup. The Stanley Cup. I got to witness the thrill of the victory from the couch in the living room next to my Dad. If my niece and nephew didn't live here and had early bedtimes then you could have heard us yell all the way in Boston. What a freaking great series. Unbelievable season. It was a helluva ride to witness and be a part of.

  I am also a fan of the New England Patriots. Last year I had a little project where I was doing little sketches for each game they played. While it didn't last all season it was still fun. This season however I had few strong ideas that I worked up as best I could. SInce the lockout was such a big story I did my own little comment on that and with the return of the season I tried to herald that in as epically as I could.

  So here we go. The big sports spectacular. Enjoy.


My take on the Eagles mascot Baldwin. Pretty fun little piece. It really is one of the bet mascot costumes I've seen. Really well done.

Fly Eagles, fly. Adding a little more of my flavor to old Baldwin. Using the uniform from Frozen Fenway. One of the coldest games I have ever been to, they lost but it was still great.



These three are part of the same or similar pieces that I came up with as and epic Patriots poster. It came out alright. Maybe next year I will really nail it. Still had fun with it. Historical accuracy be damned.


These two were done at the announcement of the lockouts end. Breaking free. I am really glad that they got it all worked out cause really Sunday's in the Fall and Winter are nothing with out it.


Now we come to the biggest sports section of the year. For anyone and for me artistically. I had a blast working with all these ideas and themes for the Bruins. All pieces were done for my own fun and practice. Unlike the BC pieces I didn't really rely on their existing mascot. Blades is cool and all but for my works i went another route.

Colored face for one of the posters I did.

Of course now season would be complete without me doing a mash-up of what this site is known for. Nothing like a chubby, furry hockey babe, right? Right?

This is one of the sketches that really sent my mind reeling. Since they always say the Stanley Cup is the Holy Grail of hockey i went with the "Quest for the Cup" theme as the season ended and the playoffs kept on rolling. There were several drawings I did that covered all aspects of  a quest with many different heroes, these are the best ones.

There is nothing quite like a giant bear roaring and readying for attack. Making that even better is that fact that this guy has armor on. Armored bears. Tell me he isn't ready for the battle ahead.


Two takes expanding on the "Quest for the Cup". I am really happy with how they both came out. Colors are another story. I get lost sometimes on what I should do for coloring so they will stay black and white for now.


I really liked how they colors came out for both of these big guys. Congrats to the Bruins once again.
Go go Black and Gold!!!


Had to end with this. Dad was right. Victory does taste better from the cup.
Cheers!!!!




No comments: