Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

TCT - Local Tradition Edition

Buena Fiesta everyone!!!!

What? YOu have no idea why I'm saying that? Yeah I'm not surprised. I'm lucky I even know how to spell it. Today starts the annual festival in town that is run by all the Italian families here and pays homage to Saint Peter, the patron saint of fishermen. That is my understanding of it anyway. Its pretty much a week long party thrown in town with booze, lots of food, carnival rides and tournaments featuring boat races, road races and the marquee event The Greasy Pole.

So this week I have been working on some really really fun and sexy stuff to help join in the celebration. I am so not Italian but its still fun to join in. There are songs and chants that I don't know all the words too, even after hearing them for over 20yrs. But in the end all that matter is this..

"Viva St. Pedro!!!"




So as i mentioned above one of the stand out events is the Greasy Pole. Its an event where all the willing Italian guysin town, be it 1st generation or funning for their aunts cousins uncles grandfather (insert Italian last name here) try to make it to the end of a greased up telephone pole sticking out into the harbor. Its awesome and painful as is pictured above. The agony of defeat.



And the thrill of victory.
They are also dressed up in funny costumes and most are a little inebriated.


No comments: